60 seconds with... Evelyn Azucena de Aguirre, Asociacion Psoriasis Nueva Vida El Salvador
Each month we will be interviewing an IAPO member in six short questions. They will be featured in our newsletter and the website.
Our featured member of the month is Evelyn Azucena de Aguirre, President of the Asociacion Psoriasis Nueva Vida El Salvador. Evelyn answered a few questions for us.
1. Describe your role at Asociacion Psoriasis Nueva Vida El Salvador in a sentence:
I see myself as the voice of people with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis in El Salvador.
2. I do what I do because…
Because I myself have lived through it, I know the suffering that comes from living with the disease. I wanted to do my own small part to provide relief to people living with it.
3. Why does Asociacion Psoriasis Nueva Vida El Salvador exist?
To fight for the right to health and to improve the quality of life of people with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.
4. What is your biggest achievement as an organization in the past year?
Securing the donation of three photo-therapy booths to three of El Salvador’s national hospitals from the Taiwanese government, and consequently putting this treatment within the reach of the population.
5. What does patient-centred healthcare look like to you?
To make adequate treatment available to the patient and to create projects that raise awareness of the disease. Also, to put psoriasis on the agenda of our country’s Ministry of Health.
6. What do you think is the key benefit of being involved with IAPO and a global alliance for patients?
Being represented by and being able to count on the support of an institution as important as IAPO. Also, having the backing of all the different associations that make up the organization.
If you are an IAPO member and would like to be featured in our '60 seconds with...' series, please get in touch.