IAPO's regional strategy for the Latin America region.
IAPO has steadily been building its activities in the Latin America region since its first regional meeting in Argentina in October 2009 and now has a strong, engaged network of member patients’ organizations from across the region. IAPO has been incrementally increasing its support in a number of ways. The highlights include:
- Increased communications and resources in Spanish
- Greater engagement of members from the region in IAPO’s global initiative
- Opportunity offered for members, through an application process, to attend the Pan American Health Organization’s (PAHO) Directing Council with an IAPO Governing Board member,
- Input of members from the region through social media, working groups and steering committees to lead activities
Patients’ organizations’ capacity-building and empowerment:
- Support to develop advocacy, encouraging greater engagement with Ministries of Health, other stakeholders and through our annual global event: Patient Solidarity Day
- Five regional meetings in 2009, 2012,2013, 2014 and 2015
- Knowledge sharing and capacity building delivered on a number of issues such as patient safety, Universal Health Coverage, biological and biosimilar medicines and health technology assessments (HTA)
- Support given in the development of national networks of patients’ organizations
- Development of an online platform on Biological and Biosimilar Medicines
A growing region
Our strategy and the implementation of these activities led to increase of membership in the region: from two countries and one per cent of the global membership in 2009 to 14 countries and nearly twenty five per cent of the global membership in 2015.
Our regional action plan is reviewed annually in consultation with our members and partners: Action plan 2016 (coming soon).
The activities in the region are coordinated from our office in London. If you would like to be part of our regional activities or support them, or if you have any questions, get in touch.