NOTE: IAPO is in no way responsible for the content of the Industry Partner profiles. These have been produced using information provided by the Industry Partners.
Merck Serono offers leading brands in 150 countries to help patients with cancer, multiple sclerosis, infertility, endocrine and metabolic disorders as well as cardiovascular diseases. Merck Serono discovers, develops, manufactures and markets prescription medicines of both chemical and biological origin in specialist indications. Merck Serono is committed to growing its business in specialist therapeutic areas where our knowledge and experience can make a real difference for patients. We will achieve this through our research and development as well through partnerships, which are an integral part of our strategy.
Accelerating access to health is a key element of our commitment to global health. We believe that this requires a patient-centered and holistic approach and we are willing to work with key stakeholders at the policy and program level to accelerate access. Our commitment to accelerating access is illustrated through key programs. These include:
- The Schistosomiasis Elimination Program which includes our praziquantal donation program,
- The Merck Capacity Advancement Program to promote diabetes awareness and education in Africa,
- The external Translational Innovation Platform (eTIP) for Global Health which is an R&D platform with a focus on R&D in tropical and priority communicable diseases,
- The“Mini Lab” project which helps countries address the problem of counterfeit medicines
- A policy platform project on Healthy Women and Healthy Economies jointly with APEC economies and non-governmental organizations, which links women’s labor force participation and access to better health care.
Merck Serono is one of the divisions of Merck - a leading company for innovative and top-quality high-tech products in the pharmaceutical, chemical and life science sectors. In 2013, with its four divisions - Merck Serono, Consumer Health, Performance Materials and Merck Millipore, Merck generated total revenues of € 11.1 billion. Around 39,000 Merck employees work in 66 countries to improve the quality of life for patients, to further the well-being of our customers and to help meet global challenges. Established in 1668 - Merck is the world’s oldest pharmaceutical and chemical company. Since establishment, the company has stood for innovation, business success and responsible entrepreneurship. The major owner of the company is the Merck family, which holds 70 percent interest. Merck, Darmstadt, Germany holds the global rights to the Merck name and brand. The only exceptions are Canada and the United States, where the company is known as EMD.